Sunday, December 6, 2009

Blacksad

I thought initially that Blacksad being in French was slightly disappointing. However, upon looking it over again I realized that for most of the story you don't even need the words. The expressions on all of the characters' faces are stunning and so incredibly readable that its easy to get the gist of what's going on. Each character is an animal and they're all masterfully personified. When you look at them throughout the story, you almost forget that they're not human because of how well the expressions are captured.

I really hope to buy some of those comics in English because I think I would enjoy them a lot. Just the art alone has me hooked, they're beautifully crafted watercolors that I would love to learn how to do. The composition and color choices are far better than most comics I've seen in the past. I like that they all still look hand painted because these days you're hard-pressed to find something of that nature. Most comics now are gravitating towards digital art which is a true shame because things like Blacksad would lose a lot if they were done digitally. I think a hand-crafted medium brings the reader on a more personal level with the creator rather than the sterility of hard, computerized lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment