Monday, December 7, 2009

Preacher

This comic series was introduced to me years ago by a history teacher I had in high school. I never read it before but its always been on my list. I'm glad that I've finally had the opportunity to read this because I love it. I'd really like to read the whole series when I get a chance. Religious story lines are something that almost always interest me. I like to read peoples' different interpretations or twisting of possibilities in the ways of organized religion. I think this story in particular has a very interesting twist and way of personifying the heavenly beings.

The way the story starts of is really nice because you get formally introduced to the characters involved giving you an intimate portrait of them right from the get go. I think that's an important tool to use when you're embarking on a story that can become so complex. Its important for the reader to know where their characters are coming from so that they can better understand their reasons for the things they do.

I think its very interesting that the writer included a 'Saint of Killers'. The fact that heaven uses a ruthless murderer to round up the escaped beings from heaven is an interesting concept to me. Mostly because religion, specifiacally Catholicism isn't supposed to be about murder, it says so right in the Ten Commandments "thou shalt not kill". Yet even over the course of real history the Church has killed countless people outside of the religion for not being believers. I think this story is an interesting commentary on the contradictory nature of organized religion in the present and throughout its existence as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment