Sunday, December 6, 2009

Yaoi

For the manga assignment I read Cinderella Boy. I've never really had an interest in manga at all, and after reading that I still don't. I think the Japanese have an interesting way of telling their stories with all of the cutesy aspects to them, but for me its too much. I don't find it amusing, it just seems juvenile. And I really didn't enjoy the story at all. To be fair, perhaps I should have checked out some other things, but I guess when it comes to this kind of art I, like many other American illustrators tend to be biased against it.

We talked in class about why some illustrators have this preconceived notion about manga and/or anime. The point was brought up that this type of art can be done by anybody and I really think that that's a contributing factor. If anybody can be a successful artist through this style, that puts the rest of us out of a job. That fact makes the rest of us with all of out formal training and finely tuned eyes less special. In the US we're alllll about individuality and manga doesn't seem to be at all. It all looks exactly the same to me and I really just can't enjoy the fluffiness of it. Even seemingly serious stories take on that aspect.

In my time I've found very few Japanese shows that have piqued my interest. Cowboy Bebop I think is fantastic. Its been a long time since I've seen an episode but remember really loving the way the story was laid out and the quirkiness of the standard anime or manga characters took a back seat. Full Metal Alchemist is another show that I really enjoy. Again, haven't seen it in a long time but that one doesn't take the quirkiness out of its characters. In that show it doesn't bother me at all. I think this is because its a show about a couple of kids albeit that one of their souls is trapped inside a big tinman-esque suit of armor.

A few Japanese movies have interested me a lot but I really just can't seem to get into the comics. I just feel like most of the stories are flimsy and ill composed. They seem to be far too 'young' for my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment